immigration lawyer for change of status

Immigration Lawyer for Change of Status in USA Speaks on Change of Status to F1

Renowned immigration lawyer for change of status, Mr. George W. Abbes recently spoke on change of status to F-1, it’s needed, who should apply for it and what will be the documents needed. This information would surely help scores of aspirants who have dreams of staying legally in the US and pursuing a quality education.

Starting off with explaining who is an F-1 student, Mr. Abbes said “An F-1 student is a non-immigrant who is pursuing a full course of study with an aim to achieve a certain professional or educational objective at an academic institution based in the US. Once the course is completed, and the desired objectives are met, an F-1 student is expected to return to his or her own country.”

Elaborating on how a student can get F-1 Status, Mr. Abbes, a reputed immigration lawyer for change of status said “A student can get the F-1 status by making use of Form I-20 which must be issued by a US school where a student is planning to enroll. You can obtain this status in two ways, first is to enter the US with your 1-20 and an F-1 visa obtained at a U.S. consulate abroad and the second is to apply for change of nonimmigrant status if you are already in the US and can’t travel. The application should be made to the USCIS. If you go for the second option, you will be smart to stay in the US until the completion of your course because if you leave the US during the duration, you will need to apply for an F-1 visa at US consulate when you wish to re-netter the US.”

Sharing details on who can apply for change of status to F-1, Mr. Abbes said “Any non-immigrant except C, K, D, M or sometimes J status and those who entered the US as per Visa Waiver Program are eligible for change of status to F-1 if that person has maintained lawful non-immigrant status until the time of the application. If you are a non-immigrant who falls under G, A or NATO status then you need to complete Form 1-566 and make sure that’s endorsed by not only the foreign mission to the U.S. but the Department of State as well.”

Explaining the documentation needed for the process, Mr. Abbes, a reputed immigration lawyer for change of status, said “You need the following documents to ensure that your application is accepted. Be sure only to share authentic documents and not be tempted by forged options as these can be easily detected by the authorities and may land you in prison.”

  • G-1145 which is the E-Notification of Application Acceptance
  • A one-page cover letter explaining why a person needs to get F-1 status. It can include a checklist of documentation included in application
  • USCIS Form I-539 Application to change or extend nonimmigrant status that includes an application fee as well.
  • Proof or financial support such as an assistantship letter or a bank statement.
  • A copy of the admission letter generated by a US University.
  • A copy of F-1 I-20 that has signature on student attestation section
  • Copy of a receipt that confirms payment of SEVIS fee
  • Copies of waiver of the 212(e), if it’s applicable
  • Copies of all immigration documents

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *